Mechanical devices do not always remain the same as you acquired the first time. You can face many issues with it and the Touchpad issue on HP Laptop is probably the common problem that occurs.
When your touchpad does not function you cannot use the laptop though you have something important to do.
If you are one of those then you are on the right page. We will guide you with the solutions to fix the touchpad problem on Windows on the HP laptop. It will also fix the issues of the touchpad on Chromebook, Pavilion, Elitebook, Envy, Probook, and the keyboard not working.
Before moving to the fixes of the Touchpad not working let’s understand what are the root causes that hinder the touchpad from functioning on the laptop.
Let’s now understand more about the root cause of the touchpad issue on your device. If you know the causes beforehand then it will be easy for you to tackle the problem.
Why HP Laptop Touchpad Not Working
- Always check for updates because this might be the main reason for the touchpad not working. If there is an update of the touchpad drivers you need to update it as soon as possible.
- You should also go to the Settings on your laptop to check that you have enabled the touchpad option or not.
- Hardware issues if any can lead the touchpad to not function.
- Along with the touchpad drivers also update the system drivers so that you do not face the issue of the touchpad not working.
- The mouse drivers should be updated when there is an update.
- If your device has any third party app installed then scan the app or remove it totally from the device.
How can I fix the Hp Laptop Touchpad Not Working?
May it be a Laptop or computer, your device can be affected by the problem of the touchpad.
So, we have listed a few of the solutions to fix the issue of your Touchpad.
a) Enable the Touchpad via Settings:
You need to check on the Settings whether the touchpad is enabled or not. This is the easy solution to fix the touchpad.
Following are the steps to enable the Touchpad Service:-
- Use the keyboard to select the “Windows” and “X” keys together.
- This will pop up a menu and then you need to click on the “Settings” tab.
- Next, select the option “Devices”.
- After that click on the options “Mouse and Touchpad”.
- Choose “Additional Mouse Options”.
- After selecting the above option, now tap on the “Touchpad” option. Check that the option is enabled otherwise toggle to enable mode.
- Last step is to restart the device so that the changes you made are set.
- Now check if the issue is resolved otherwise go for the next solution.
b) Update the Touchpad Driver:
If the touchpad driver is not updated your device might not work.
Following are the steps to update the drivers that are compatible with the device:-
- Visit the site of the manufacturer:
Firstly, go to the manufacturer’s site.
- Find the compatible drivers:
Next, you need to find the latest drivers that are compatible with your HP laptop.
- Download and Install:
As you select the drivers now proceed to download and next launch it on your device.
- Use the HP Laptop:
After the completion of updating the driver, check that the keyboard and the touchpad issue are solved.
c) Fix the Hardware Issues:
If your device has any hardware issues you need to fix this.
Here are the instructions to be followed to remove the hardware issues:-
- Go to the Hp Laptop’s Control Panel.
- Then select “Troubleshooting” under Control Panel
- Choose “Hardware and Sound” options as you need to fix the Hardware issues.
- Click on the “Hardware and Device”.
- After that tap on the “Next” tab.
- The troubleshooting process will start to find the problem and try to fix it.
- Now, follow the displayed on-screen instructions.
- Restart the Laptop.
- Check after rebooting that your device is working fine.
d) Restart the HP Laptop
This technique to resolve the touchpad problem is easier than any other techniques mentioned here.
The steps you need to carry on to restart the laptop and fix the issue are as follows:-
- Save the file before restarting the laptop.
- You need to close the background apps.
- Tap the “Start Menu” and select the option to shut down the laptop.
- Then, restart the Laptop.
- Lastly, check that your touchpad issue is resolved or not.
e) Update the Drivers:
If you do not know the steps to update the drivers then follow the steps mentioned below:-
- Firstly, select the “Windows” and “R” keys together.
- The run screen will pop up, type “devmgmt.msc” and then tap the “Enter” tab.
- Now, expand the “Mice and Other Pointing Devices” windows.
- Next proceed to the “Synaptics” and keep tapping the “Enter” tab till you see the “Drivers” option.
- Select the tab to update the drivers.
- Restart your device after completing the update process.
- Once done, check the device touchpad problem is resolved.
f) Reinstall the Mouse Drivers:
If the touchpad problem is not yet fixed then try to remove the Mouse drivers and install them again.
Perform the following steps to fix the problem:-
- Select the “Windows” and “R” keys together.
- This will open the Run window, there you need to type “Control” and then tap the “Enter” button.
- Go to the Device Manager and expand the folder “Mice and Other Pointing Devices”.
- Tap the right-click button on the “Touchpad” and uninstall the devices.
- Tap the “Yes” button to confirm the uninstallation.
- Restart the laptop.
- Next proceed to download and then install the mouse drivers.
- Lastly, check that the issue is fixed.
g) Enable Touchpad through Function Keys:
In order to fix the Touchpad not working issue, you are required to enable the touchpad through Function Keys.
Just tap the “Fn” key and the “Touchpad” key and this will get the Touchpad enabled.
Touchpad, not working problems can be found in windows 10 and also different models of Hp Laptop.
Let’s discuss a few of the resolutions to resolve the problem on the Hp laptops.
How to fix the hp laptop touchpad not working on windows 10?
If you want the touchpad to function on windows 10 then enable the Touchpad through the Settings tab. Follow the following steps mentioned below:
- Hold the “Windows” and “I” keys together and press them.
- Then select the “Devices” option.
- Select “Touchpad” from the list.
- Next tap the enable button of the Touchpad.
- Lastly, in order to save the changes, reboot the computer.
How to fix the Hp Elitebook touchpad not working?
The error of touchpad is common on HP Elitebook models like
- hp 9470m touchpad not working
- hp elitebook 2170p touchpad not working
- hp elitebook 840 g1 touchpad not working
- hp elitebook 840 g5 touchpad not working
- hp elitebook 8440p touchpad not working
- hp elitebook 850 touchpad not working
If the drivers installed on the Elitebook are not updated then this problem arises frequently.
So we are here to help you out with the step to update the System Drivers on HP:-
- Firstly, using the keyboard press the Windows and the X key together.
- This will open the Device Manager where you need to expand the “Mice and Other Pointing Devices” folder.
- Next tap the right button of the touchpad.
- Choose “Properties” from it.
- After that go to the “HID-compliant Mouse Properties”, and click the “Driver” option.
- Now hit on the “Update Driver” option.
- Then choose the “Browse My Computer for Driver Software” option.
- Select “Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on My Computer”.
- After that tap the “Next” button.
- Select the model type from the menu.
- Install the driver update and then restart the Hp Elitebook.
- Once you complete the last step, your laptop touchpad will function.
How to fix the HP Chromebook touchpad not working?
Chromebook users fix the touchpad not working issue just by restarting the laptop.
So you can also restart the device and fix the issue.
If you are not aware of the steps then you can go through the steps below that we discussed:-
- First and foremost, clean the touchpad because if there is any dirt then the touchpad might not work.
- Click on the “Esc” key for a few moments in the next step.
- Then scroll the fingers on the keyboard for 10 seconds.
- Now switch off the Chromebook.
- Then turn the on button again.
- Now delete the account where the touchpad is not operating.
- After that add the account again.
- This will help the Chromebook to perform better.
How to fix HP Laptops of Touchpad Not Working?
The model’s Omen, Envy x360, Probook, Pavilion dv4 of Hp might also encounter the touchpad not working error. This issue can be removed by removing the external devices that were attached to the laptop.
Fix the Touchpad not working Error by Removing the External Mouse:
- Remove the external USB or the mouse from the laptop.
- If attached, then click the disable button of the Bluetooth mouse.
- Turn to the off mode.
- After that use the Touchpad to check whether the issue persists.
Hence, this article has included steps to make your work faster and easily fix the issues you faced on the Hp Laptop’s Touchpad.