This blog is about fixing your HP printers that show the status offline though connected to the computer. You can face the issue on devices like Windows 10, Mac, Hp Envy, etc.
You need to learn the causes if you want to troubleshoot the errors of hp printers.
Why does your Hp printer keep going offline?
The printer keeps saying offline as it cannot make a connection with the computer. Unless the error is fixed your printer will continue to show the status offline. Before moving to the fixes we need to focus on the causes so that in the future we can avoid the cause to arrive.
Here are the reasons that lead to cause the issue:-
- In order to print paper is required to insert and sometimes if the paper is not properly inserted it gets jammed causing the problem.
- Check that the wires are properly attached otherwise the status will show offline.
- By mistake, you have set the printer to offline mode.
- Most importantly, the firmware is not updated.
- Drivers of the printers are not updated.
- Always set the printer from where you want to print to default mode.
How to fix the error Hp printer offline?
“Why does it say my HP printer is offline?” You might be typing the question in Google to fix the issue but stills not resolved. When your Hp printer confronts this type of error you cannot print any document.
We have listed a few of the fixes so that your printer issue resolves in no time.
1. Ink Cartridge and Paper Jam:
If you want the Hp printer offline problem to be fixed then check the ink in the cartridge and also remove any paper jammed in the printer.
Follow the steps below to check the ink and paper jam:-
- Firstly, plug the printer switch to on mode.
- If any cables are loose connect properly to make a better connection.
- Next, check that the tray has the right stock of paper.
- Check inside the printer if any remains of jammed paper.
- Now open the cover of the printer where the ink cartridges are placed. Check the levels of ink. You can also check ink by using the printer’s software to observe the warnings of low ink. Tap the ‘OK’ button to reject low ink warnings and after that get the printer back online.
- Your computer and printer need to be placed under the same network.
As you complete the last step your Hp printer offline status will be resolved.
2. Cables and Connections need to be monitored:
Check the cables and connections because this might be the cause of the Hp printer showing offline status.
To fix the issue of the Hp printer follows the following instructions:-
- The connection between the computer and the printer needs to be strong enough so that the status shows online.
- Check the USB cables are connected appropriately at both ends.
- Sometimes the Hp wireless printer shows offline then checks if the router and the internet connection are stable and operating properly.
3. HP Print and Scan Doctor:
If the above techniques are not working then try your hand in the expert tools. The HP Print and Scan Doctor tool is for resolving the error your printer is facing currently.
Here are the steps that need to be followed:-
- Go to the browser and search for the tool “HP Print and Scan Doctor”.
- Select from the search list and download the tool.
- After that install the program.
- Next run the file “.exe”.
- Now, proceed to launch the program.
- Then, Hit on the “Start” button.
- Choose the printer model because the tool needs to be compatible with your printer otherwise no use for download.
- Click the “Fix printing link” and start the repairing process.
Once the process completes your printer will show the status online.
4. The printer needs to set to Online Mode manually:
When you continuously face the HP smart printer saying it’s offline then you need to set the printer to online mode manually.
The steps you are required to follow:-
- Tap on the “Start” tab.
- Then tap on the “Control panel”.
- After that choose the “Devices and Printers” option.
- Tap the question section by right-clicking and then select the option “See what’s printing”.
- Choose the “Printer”.
- Lastly, tap the option “Use Printer Online”.
With this, the online mode of the Hp printer will be enabled.
5. Turn off the Automated Offline Commands:
In some cases the automated offline commands are activated, you need to deactivate them so that the error on the printer is eradicated.
Go through the steps below to turn off the automated offline commands:-
- Tap the Start menu.
- Next step, find and tap on the “Control panel” tab.
- Choose the “Devices and Printers” option.
- Then tap on the HP printer’s tab.
- After that tap on the option “See what’s printing”.
- Now find and then tap on the “Printer” tab on the following page.
- Then proceed to tap on the option “Pause printing” or “Use HP printer offline” to eliminate any checkmarks.
Thus the issue is hoped to be resolved.
6. Upgrade the Firmware Version:
If your problem is not yet solved then you need to update the firmware. If the firmware is outdated it becomes difficult for the printer to function properly. In most cases by updating the firmware errors are being fixed.
7. Update the Driver of the HP Printer Driver:
Follow the steps to update the drivers:-
- Go to the “Device Manager” and tap to open.
- Click the “Printers” folder to expand.
- Search the model and finding it select the option “Update Driver”.
- Tap on “Search Automatically”.
- Enable the drivers for the printer to be updated.
- Lastly, restart Windows after the completion of the update process.
8 Wi-Fi, USB and Wired Connection need to be checked:
In a few cases, you might see an HP printer connected to wifi but status offline. So make sure that the wi-fi, USB, and wired connection are stable and properly connected.
How to fix the Hp printer offline on mac?
Mac devices also confront the error printer showing offline. You just need to reset the device and install the programs again to fix the error.
Reset and Reinstall the HP Printer:
The following points need to be followed:-
- From the Mac device, select the Menu tab and then choose the ‘System Preferences’ option.
- Next, go to the Hardware section and tap the ‘Print & Scan’ option.
- Then tap the Control tab along with the printer list.
- After that tap the ‘Reset Printing System’ from the pop-up window.
- Next, connect the printer to the network using an ethernet or USB cable.
- Then pick the Apple menu and tap on ‘Software Update’ in order to install the latest updates for the PC.
- Now, choose the Apple menu and tap on ‘System Preferences’ from the list.
- Tap the ‘Print & Scan’ to open.
- Choose the ‘+’ tab or tap on the Lock tab first and then type the username and password.
- Now, tap ‘Add Printer or Scanner’.
- Choose the printer and tap the “Add” button.
- The latest drivers will be downloaded and installed for the printer and thus fix the issue.
How to fix HP Envy Printer Offline on Windows 10?
If the Hp printer on Windows 10 is set to offline mode then the printer will show the status offline. So you are required to disable the HP Envy Printer offline mode.
Disable the “Use Printer Offline” Option:
Below are the instructions you need to perform in order to disable the printer offline:
- From Windows 10, tap on the Start button.
- Then open the option Devices and Printers.
- Next step, tap the right button on the printer’s icon.
- Choose the option “See What’s Printed”.
- Then, uncheck the mark on the option “Use Printer Offline”.
- Wait to get your Printer back to Online mode.
- If still the error persists then remove the plug along with it all the external connections attached to the computer.
- After a few minutes put the plug back to the computer and connect the wires attached to start the printer.
- Lastly, reboot the Windows 10 and your problem will be resolved.
Hence, the Hp printer offline issues are due to transmission issues. In order to understand the errors, you need to know the cause so that you can troubleshoot the errors easily. We have provided numerous techniques to solve the printer issue.