The message Printer in Error State is quite common. This error occurs when you try to send documents in order to print.
Printers like Hp Officejet Pro 8600, HP OfficeJet 6978, Hp Envy 4500 and 7640, Hp DeskJet 1010 and 2540, HP 2600, HP 8710 can also face the error state.
Your printer shows the message “My Hp printer says it’s in an error state”. This means that the device is not stable or not functioning properly.
There are quite many reasons which lead to such errors. Let’s find out the causes which will help you to fix the error on the device.
- Your device is outdated and requires an upgrade.
- The settings of the printer are toggle to disable mode.
- There is an insufficient amount of ink.
- The paper tray does not have adequate papers to print.
- The printer lid cover is not closed.
- Not connected to Wi-fi.
- The printer is not connected to the system.
Hope these causes will guide you to troubleshoot the issue the printer encounters.
How to fix the hp printer in an error state?
All users are familiar with the fact that Hp printers are the most comfortable and reliable ones. Though, it struggles to flake in an error state in Windows 10. Mostly while updating the new operating system as the printer drivers may not be compatible with the new updates at that time.
Here we are going to discuss the methods to fix the HP Printer Error State:-
1. Open the Troubleshooter
If you face the printer in an error state then you are required to open the troubleshooters with the printing device.
Following are the steps to do the following:-
- Turn on the printer and connect the cables to the computer properly.
- Tap the start tab and enter in the search bar ‘Troubleshoot’.
- Now, select the ‘Troubleshooting’ from the list. A new page pops up, tap the option “View all” and after that scroll to the Printer tab.
- Next tap the Advanced option in order to run troubleshooting for the printer.
- Now tap on Run as administrator.
- Then proceed to click the Next tab and initiate troubleshooting for the printer which will detect the problems in the system so that the error that occurred is solved.
- If no issues were found then you need to check for the next fix i.e. update the drivers.
2. Update the Drivers of the HP Printer
If a continuous error issue is faced by the printer then you are required to update the drivers.
Follow the instructions to update the printer’s drivers:-
- If the printer needs an update then the device will give you a notification but if there is not any such notification still you can check by tapping the Start tab and type in the box ‘Device Manager.
- Pick the ‘Expand printers’ tab and check if the model of the Hp printer is available on the list.
- Tap the right button on the HP printer model and after that select the ’Update Driver’ option in order to run a recent update for the driver.
- After the updating is completed you need to reboot your printer along with the system to make the changes.
- To confirm the update you can test print if the issue is resolved.
3. Print Spooler Service toggle to automatic mode
Print Spooler plays an important role in the printing process. It is a software program that operates the printing jobs allotted to the printer and also enables the user to manage and delete the print waiting to be printed out.
This system always hinders you to accomplish the printing process thus the error occurs in the system. In order to fix it, change the Printer’s Spooler Service to Automatic mode.
Here are the following steps to perform the service to automatic mode:-
- Select Windows and R keys and launch the Run application.
- The window pops up and now type in the search box ‘service.msc’ and tap the OK button.
- Next, tap the right button on the ‘Print Spooler’ option and go to Properties.
- Now pick Automatic for the Start type and ‘Running’ mode for Service Status.
- Tap the Start option and after that tap on the Apply button to save the changes.
- At last restart your device and check if the problem is resolved or not.
4. Put enough paper in the Printer’s paper tray
The most common issue which users neglect is that they do not keep sufficient paper on the paper tray while printing. This leads the printer to an error state. This is the reason why your printer stops functioning.
You need to stack at least 25 sheets on the paper tray before you start the printing job. After stacking up with the sheets now restart the printer. Before giving any command, wait for a few minutes so that the printer remains idle.
Now you can test the printer to check if the problem is solved.
5. Check the ink levels
This is another method to fix the error state. You need to check whether the cartridges have enough ink leveled or not for printing. If not, no print will be stamped on your sheets. You are required to check the levels on the control panel if you do not want to face the printer error. Once you fill the ink you need to test print to check if the printer is performing well.
The fixes will work on the HP printers models mentioned above. Most solutions can be done by yourself with no experts required in order to fix it. But if the problem persists try reaching the technician to resolve the error.